Heartburn Friendly Cooking: Hoagie Heaven
Reflux Friendly Cooking is a weekly feature full of quick and easy food ideas that are acid reflux friendly and can be easily modified to meet the needs of everyone in your family! Each week I'll provide a simple menu that is designed for easy digestion. I'll also give you suggestions on how to modify the same recipe for others in your family without acid reflux disease. Bon Appétit!
Hoagie Heaven: These hot sandwiches are so simple and can be served to everyone in your family, with and without reflux! Serve with a cool parfait for a sweet ending to the meal.
Roasted Chicken and Mushroom Hoagies:
Ingredients (for 2 hoagies):
- 8 oz boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 1 medium portabella mushroom
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 2 pieces rice cheese (can use dairy based cheese if tolerated)
- 2 rice hot dog rolls (can use wheat rolls if tolerated)
- salt and pepper if tolerated
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice chicken into 1/2 inch strips and place in a bowl. Slice mushroom and add to the chicken. Stir together oil and vinegar and salt and pepper and drizzle over the chicken and mushroom mixture. Spread the mixture on a pan and roast for about 15 minutes, turning once. Remove from the heat. Top two hoagie rolls with the mixture. Top with cheese and broil for less than one minute, or until cheese begins to bubble.
Banana Parfait: Use whatever fruit is tolerated, but bananas are always a safe bet in my house.
Ingredients (for each parfait):
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 container yogurt (use Ricera yogurt if dairy is not tolerated)
- 2 store bought cookies (Pamela's butter shortbread cookies are allergen free and work great in this recipe)
Start with a parfait cup or an attractive glass. Crush the cookies and put half the amount in the bottom of the glass. Then alternate the layers with the banana and yogurt, ending with the cookies back on top. Enjoy!