Heartburn Friendly Cooking: Chicken, Apple and Brown Rice Salad
Reflux Friendly Cooking is a new weekly feature that will be full of quick and easy food ideas that are acid reflux friendly and can be easily modified to meet the needs of everyone in your family! Each week I'll provide a simple menu that is designed for easy digestion. I'll also give you suggestions on how to modify the same recipe for others in your family without acid reflux disease. Bon Appétit!
Chicken, Apple and Brown Rice Salad. Many of us will be celebrating the end of summer this weekend with a picnic. If you are living with or caring for someone with acid reflux, try making this salad. It can be served cold so it makes a great "bring along" for a Labor Day celebration.
- 2 cups chicken breast (shredded, cooked, and cooled)
- 2 medium green apples (thinly sliced)
- 2 bags instant brown rice
- 1/3 toasted walnuts (coarsely chopped)
- 6 Tbs. balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 Tbs. fresh parsley if tolerated
- salt and pepper for seasoning if tolerated
Prepare rice according to package directions. Let cool. In a large bowl, toss together rice, chicken, green apple, walnuts and balsamic vinaigrette. Place on a serving tray and season with parsley, salt and pepper. Serve cold.