Recently Jan Gambino and I conducted a survey on sleep-feeding infants. Sixty one parents of sleep feeding infants took the survey and at least 60% of the parents answered all questions. Remaining 40% parents could not answer all questions because in many babies, sleep feeding had not been resolved by the time they took the survey.
Our survey results have been listed below:
A. Among all sleep feeding infants (children of parents who took the survey) here is a general birth history:
1. All i.e. 100% children sleep fed as infant between 2005 to 2011 (February)
2. More than 50% of these children were born in 2010 (this explains why some parents could not answer all survey questions)
3. Of all the sleep-feeding infants 51% were female children and 49% were male children.
4.Ethnic background: predominantly White and Asian children (more details confidential)
5. Seventy two percent are first born children
6. Mother's age in 27.5% mothers was more than 35 years at the time of their child's birth. Almost 16% of the mothers had gestational diabetes.
7. 56% babies were born with a C-section.
8. 51% of the babies had to stay in NICU either for a short or long period; 37% had jaundice, and 37% had low birth weight (there could be overlaps)
9. 32% of all sleep feeding infants are IUGR babies.
10. Poor oxygen or low blood sugar after birth was observed in few babies (more details not available)
B. These were some of the most common symptoms observed in sleep feeding infants between the ages of 0 to 3 months.
1. Poor weight gain or some weight loss.
2. Back arching
3. In 40% to 50% infants: Constant and frequent hiccups, GER (common reflux), Gas, and GERD was noted.
4. In 20 to 39% children: Eczema, choking, congestion, cough, colic, constant crying, gas, small but frequent spitting up, vomiting, projectile vomiting and poor oral motor skills were reported.
5. In contrast, fewer children (less than 20%) had: Allergies, MSPI, Lactose intolerance, Bloody stools, wheezing, apnea, illnesses, infections or other life threatening events.
C. These were some of the most common symptoms observed in sleep feeding infants between the ages of 3 to 6 months.
Most symptoms mentioned above resolved or became insignificant except in 50% of babies following symptoms continued or increased:
2. Projectile vomiting
3. Back arching
4. Poor weight gain
D. Diagnosis was made for 44 out of 61 babies (as reported by parents). The most common diagnosis for the first year after birth in these babies was:
1. GERD: 72%
2. GER: 60%
3. Feeding disorder: 57%
4. FTT (failure to thrive): 30%
5. Allergies: 25%
6. Developmental delays: 21%
E. When asked about the feeding history of the child 95% of the parents responded that the child had to be asleep or drowsy for bottle feeding (rarely for breast feeding too). Some parents skipped this question but we still have a good number to predict other common symptoms in sleep-feeding infants.
When presented with the bottle, and while fully awake the babies respond in following ways: