In my previous blog we talked about some of the ways to loose weight and lessen heartburn symptoms. Exercise was mentioned as playing a huge role in this ability to loose and keep weight off. What if exercise triggers your heartburn pain? Here are a few tips to keep the burn at bay while you workout.
1. Make sure that you take your medications on schedule as directed by your physician. Non compliance with medication regimens is one of the leading causes of heartburn or acid reflux breakthrough pain.
2. Wait for at least two hours after you have eaten before you hit the gym. This gives the stomach time to digest the food adequately. Make sure the meal you do eat is also trigger food free and healthy. Otherwise, when you bend to do downward facing dog you might end up loosing your lunch.
3. Be sure to drink lots of water. In most instances water will help aid in digestion and is really all you need to hydrate. There are many sports drinks out there to help hydrate but most contain more sugar and sodium than is needed for the average person. They also add those liquid calories that tend to undo all of your hard work. If you are an athlete who works out for more than an hour at a time talk with your physician about the best way for you to hydrate because you may need to replenish electrolytes.
4. Ease into the workouts. Don't start with a Olympic athlete training schedule. If you are coming from being pretty sedentary then you need to allow your body time to adjust. You will be surprised at how quickly this can happen for most people. Walking or swimming laps can be a good place to start. Both are fairly easy on your joints and are great workouts. You can add intensity and length to your workouts gradually. The couch to 5k program is a great one to do just that!
5. If you have severe chest pain or increased acid reflux symptoms while you are exercising please stop and contact your physician. Chest pain should always be evaluated and heart disease ruled out.
I hope that these tips have helped you to determine to exercise. There is nothing better than meeting and setting goals that improve your health. Just think, if you start this program today how much better you will feel in three months.
Published On: July 29, 2013