• elle elle
    July 28, 2010
    Does a child with ADD qualify for Social Security benefits?
    elle elle
    July 28, 2010

    My son was diagnosed with ADD at the age of 7. He is now 15. School has become progressively more difficult for him. He needs a tutor. I do not have the resources to cover this. Would he possibly Qualify for Social Security?



  • Merely Me
    Health Guide
    July 28, 2010
    Merely Me
    Health Guide
    July 28, 2010

    Hi Elle


    In the meantime...as you are looking into possible benefits there are strategies to get free tutoring.


    This article on ADDitude magazine on-line gives some ideas of how to get a free tutor.


    LDonline also has some ideas about getting a tutor.


    I am wondering if you could call the local colleges for any students who are wanting experience teaching a child with ADD or learning disabilities.  Maybe you could work out an arrangement where they could gain credits by tutoring your son.  Just thinking out loud here.


    I would begin asking at your son's school first.  The social security benefits is a very hard battle...and it may take a lot of time only to possibly be denied so...I think you need to think of some strategies of how you can help him now in the meantime.


    Thanks so much for your question.

  • Eileen Bailey
    Health Guide
    July 28, 2010
    Eileen Bailey
    Health Guide
    July 28, 2010



    Thank you for your question and welcome to ADHDCentral.com.


    Social Security Disability has stringent requirements for a child (or adult) to receive disability payments. It would be impossible to say whether your child would fit the criteria. If you believe he may, you want to contact the Social Security Administration and ask for the forms to start the process. This process can take months and does require medical documentation, so the sooner you begin, the sooner you will receive a response.


    There are some other programs that may work for you. Some are outlined in:


    Work and Social Security Programs


    I hope this helps




You should know Answers to your question are meant to provide general health information but should not replace medical advice you receive from a doctor. No answers should be viewed as a diagnosis or recommended treatment for a condition. Content posted by community members does not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media, which also reserves the right to remove material deemed inappropriate.