• TannerFrostburg TannerFrostburg
    March 31, 2010
    I think I have ADD and do not know what to do.
    TannerFrostburg TannerFrostburg
    March 31, 2010

    I have been experiencing symptoms of not necessarily ADHD, but more of just ADD for about 5 years, I am currently 16 and in college and this is the portion of my life when I need the most focus possible. One of my roommates has been diagnosed with ADD for quite some time, and he is prescribed 70 Mg Vyvanse. I told him about my problems, and even though I know it is illegal, he gave me one of his pills and told me to take it and see how I react. I took it and it was the best I have done in class, since I can remember. I was able to pay attention through all of my lectures and take very good notes, while not getting distracted or bored. So, I wanted to know who I should go to either my family doctor, or the psychiatrist in town to tell them about my symptoms. As well as telling the doctor about my problems, I wanted to know if there are any suggestions on ways to tell my mom about my issues without her thinking I just want to score some pills, because she has been non-stop watching the news and there is all this news about teenagers finding new pills to abuse, because in the past when I have talked to her about my anxiety she kind of thought that is what I was trying to do since I have had some problems with marijuana in the past. I also wanted to know if it is a good idea to tell the doctor about my experience with the 70 Mg Vyvanse and how it made me feel the best I have felt in a while. Also, I was wondering if it is abnormal for the Vyvanse to help with anxiety, because I usually have a lot of anxiety in public situations, along with some mild panic attacks (have not seen a doctor about this issue either), but when I was on the Vyvanse I was outgoing and it seemed as if I wanted to talk to as many people as possible. Any responses would be appreciated. I am just at a stand still and am wondering what to do.




  • rememberme7 April 08, 2010
    April 08, 2010

    I was diagnosed with ADD at the age of 16, which is how old you are (right?). Sp hopefully this helps...

    You should probably see if you can get diagnosed and you can be eligable for accomodations in school and all that jazz. I get exam accomodations and help with time managment and stuff and it helps soooo much.

    The doctors and phsychologists won't make a big deal out of it if you contact then for a diagnosis, if worst comes to worst they say you don't have ADD, if they say you do then you can work to improve on it, so it's sort of a win-win thing.

    And just because they say you have ADD doesn't mean you have to get it, it took me 2 years to decide that I wanted medication so if that's an issue for your mom you can just tell her that getting the diagnosis doesn't automatically mean your going to go and get pills so perhaps that will help her relax more knowing that you just want to get the diagnosis to make sure you get the best in life and not so that you can do drugs

You should know Answers to your question are meant to provide general health information but should not replace medical advice you receive from a doctor. No answers should be viewed as a diagnosis or recommended treatment for a condition. Content posted by community members does not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media, which also reserves the right to remove material deemed inappropriate.