My children both have ADHD. My 5 yr old is great acedemically, but has a horrible time with behavior. My 9 yr old is the exact opposite.
Doctors are trying to help my daughter b/c we can't seem to get behavior corrected at all! Last month, they added Paxil 10 mg to her meds thinking that the stimulant in the focalin was causing her to be more aggressive and act out. It has had the opposite effect. My daughter is now displaying almost MANIC episodes! Examples are
- Hitting/Kicking Teacher
- Hitting students
- Lying continuously (even when no reason to lie)
- Escalating in her lies to get attention (grand/elaborate for her age)
- Picking at sores, ears, etc
- Fixated with things - like shoe laces, etc
- Destroying school property and other people's things
- Picking on people just to make them mad
- Defying authority - blatantly (teachers, principal, mom, dad)
- Huge outbursts that are unprovoked. Gets OUT OF CONTROL - rages
- Scratching herself and others when frustrated
- Says, " I can't help it", when angry and raging
- Says things like "I can go live with God and then I'll be a good girl", "I should just die", "I want to kill someone"
- Seems to lack the ability when in a rage to understand cause/effect. Afterward very remorseful
- Struggle with rules/authority
- Knows the limits, but still pushes beyond them with the same consequences each time. Doesn't learn from punishment
She has always been a Defiant child, but it has gotten crazy! Almost makes me think she is bipolar.
Any thoughts? I called the psychiatrist and we agreed to take her off everything until we can figure out what is going on. I'm scared for her!