Friday, October 24, 2014

Saturday, December 12, 2009 fidgety10, Community Member, asks

Q: can a person get disability if they have adhd? how does one get help in applying?

I have tried to live a normal life but i cant seem to ever keep a job or when i do have one i suffer from so much anxiety and depression it is overwhelming. I have such a hard time getting my rent and bills payed i have done desperate things to get by. I need help. How can I get help getting disability without money for a laywer? also can people with adhd even get disabily?

Answer This
Answers (2)
Merely Me, Health Guide
12/12/09 8:52pm

Hi there


You could apply as a start but know that you will most likely be in for a battle.  My mother had gotten disbability benefits due to her having schizophrenia but she was denied at first despite the fact that she had already faced a lifelong struggle with her mental illness and was unable to work.  We had to appeal and provide much proof of her disability. 


It will probably need to be shown that you have taken medication and despite these efforts you are still unable to work.  You definitely need letters from your doctor(s).


My son receieves benefits but he has extreme autism. Again we had much proof and documentation to clearly show that my son has a disability which affects every aspect of his life.


So just know that this will most likely be a very difficult battle for you and the money you may receive is very little.


Here is an article about this topic from ADDitude magazine.


And it seems even getting accomodations at a job for ADHD is very difficult according to this article:  "In other words, if a child, teen, or adult with ADHD can "get the task done" or "get the job done" by using medications, applying behavioral management techniques, receiving counseling, using biofeedback, using Attend, or other treatment interventions, then they do not have a disability that is protected under the ADA."


Here is another article about how difficult it can be to gain benefits for a child with ADHD.


If you are still undaunted here is the social security disability web site for beginning the process.  And here is their number:  1-800-772-1213


Hope this helps some...let us know what happens.  Good luck to you!





fidgety10, Community Member
12/18/09 3:53am

thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questionSmile!!! very helpful!

fidgety10, Community Member
12/18/09 3:56am

thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questionSmile!!! very helpful!

Hugh, Community Member
3/ 2/10 5:23pm

Heyy i suffer from ADHD (Attention Defecit Hyeractivity Disorder) and i get a thing called disability Living Allowance (DLA) you can apply through the DWP and they have great advice too :D

Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By fidgety10, Community Member— Last Modified: 12/15/10, First Published: 12/12/09