IMPORTANT NOTE: The following information is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of your physician, pharmacist or other healthcare professional. It should not be construed to indicate that use of the drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you. Consult your healthcare professional before using this drug.
Focalin Oral Precautions
Before taking dexmethylphenidate, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or to methylphenidate; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of:
- high blood pressure
- heart problems (such as irregular heartbeat, heart failure, previous heart attack, problems with heart structure)
- family history of heart problems (such as sudden cardiac death, irregular heartbeat)
- mental/mood conditions (especially anxiety, tension, agitation)
- personal/family history of mental/mood disorders (such as bipolar disorder, depression, psychosis)
- personal/family history of uncontrolled muscle movements (motor tics, Tourette's syndrome)
- overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism)
- seizure disorder
This drug may make you dizzy or cause blurred vision. Do not drive, use machinery, or do any activity that requires alertness or clear vision until you are sure you can perform such activities safely.
Before having surgery, tell your doctor or dentist about all the products you use (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products).
If used for a long time, this drug may affect a child's growth rate, weight, and final adult height. To reduce the risk, the doctor may recommend briefly stopping the medication from time to time. Check the child's weight and height regularly, and consult your doctor or pharmacist for more details.
During pregnancy, this medication should be used only when clearly needed. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor.
It is unknown if this medication passes into breast milk. However, similar drugs pass into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.
Focalin Oral Side Effects
Trouble sleeping, nervousness, nausea, stomach pain, headache, loss of appetite, weight loss, dizziness, or blurred vision may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.
Tell your doctor right away if you have any serious side effects, including:
- fast/pounding/irregular heartbeat
- mental/mood/behavior changes (such as agitation, aggression, mood swings, depression, abnormal thoughts)
- uncontrolled muscle movements (such as twitching, shaking)
- sudden outbursts of words/sounds that are hard to control
Get medical help right away if you have any very serious side effects, including:
CONDITIONS OF USE: The information in this database is intended to supplement, not substitute for, the expertise and judgment of healthcare professionals. The information is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, drug interactions or adverse effects, nor should it be construed to indicate that use of a particular drug is safe, appropriate or effective for you or anyone else. A healthcare professional should be consulted before taking any drug, changing any diet or commencing or discontinuing any course of treatment.
Information last revised August 2011 Copyright(c) 2011 First DataBank, Inc.