I recently found out that i am allergic to alternaria tenuis. I can not find what causes this mold/fungus. where is it located?
It was difficult to find much reliable information on this mold, but from what I did find, it appears that it is an outdoor mold, which is responsible for leaf rot on plants, among other things. I'm wondering if it might also be found on the leaves and in the soil of potted plants indoors.
Alternaria tenuis appears to be one of the most common molds, even if there isn't much factual information easily available.
I suggest you discuss this finding in more detail with the allergist who tested you for it. Surely he or she can provide more information than anyone here.
To your health,
I found out I am allergic to alternaria tenuis and stemphylium botryosu. I can not find what these are and am having respiratory problems, could these be a cause?
Absolutely could cause your respiratory problems. Stemphylium is together with Alternaria (A tenuis is also known as A Alternaria) considered one of the most important mould allergens in the United States.
S. botryosum is a cosmopolitan species of mold, very common in temperate and subtropical regions. Soil isolates have been reported from forests, grasslands, wheat plantings, beet and citrus cultivation and coffee plantations. It has also been isolated from polluted fresh water, leaf litter of trees, bark and leaves of citrus. As a typical seedborne fungus, it is seen on tomato, wheat and barley. The conidia are violently discharged after a lowering of the relative humidity in the presence of light.
A. alternata is a common and cosmopolitan mould species occurring on many plants and other substrates including soils, food stuffs and textiles. Known habitats are soils, corn silage, rotten wood, composts, bird nests, and various forest plants. Black spots on tomatoes may be caused by A. Alternata. It is frequently found on water condensed on window frames. It is considered an outdoor mould and appears when the weather is warm.
Both are highly allergenic and very, very common and from what I read, they are have cross-reacting allergens so if you are allergic to one you are likely to be allergic to the other, as you are. They are very hard to avoid. Talk to you Dr. about your allergy to them.