Hello... Yes, people, including children, can and do die from allergic reactions. Food allergy reactions seem to be especially potent and nut allergies are some of the most severe food allergies. And it doesn't even require the child to eat peanuts for a reaction to occur. Just being in a room with someone else eating peanuts or a peanut butter sandwich, for example, can trigger a reaction.
Not all allergic reactions are deadly, however. The kind that is that severe is called anaphylaxis, or allergic shock. You can read about anaphylaxis here.
We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.