Understanding your triggers is a key component of allergy management, and dust is one of the most prevalent of triggers. So getting a handle on dust and how it may be affecting your allergies is essential.
It's a sad fact that even the most motivated of housekeepers will not be able to keep dust from coating every surface in the home. And, if like me, you're too busy to focus your life on a perfectly clean house... well, then your home is going to have even more dust. But it's important to recognize that dust is not a sign of dirt or poor housecleaning per se.
Actually, dust is a normal by-product of fibers and other substances found throughout an indoor environment. Though you can reduce the amount of dust in your home, you're never going to eliminate it. So, if dust is one of your triggers, then indoor allergies may always plague you to some extent.
Household dust may actually contain a few different kinds of allergens:
House Dust and Asthma In this entry, I would like to discuss how house dust and dust mites contribute to asthma in adults and children. There are also strategies you can use to control your and your child’s exposure to dust and dust mites, an important indoor asthma trigger for many individuals. What is dust allergy? While we often can see dust floating indoors and gathering on surfaces, it is not typically the dust to which people are allergic, but rather substances that are carried on the dust that cause hayfever symptoms and/or wheeze. Dust is a combination of many substances, including pet dander, fabric particles, and small dust mite particles, to name a few. While high levels of dust can lead to irritation of the nose and lungs without allergy, the most common allergens on dust are pet dander, cockroach particles, and house dust mites. Allergy to these specific triggers can be assessed by skin testing or blood testing. Allergy to these triggers that may make up part of dust in you...
The beginning of summer kicks off the camping and hiking season, anxiously awaited by those who have endured a long cold winter. This year will likely prove to be one of the busier camping seasons as many Americans bypass more expensive vacations that involve pricey airline tickets or gas guzzling road trips. Emergency department staff will probably see a greater number of people with contact dermatitis caused by exposure to poison ivy, poison oak or poison sumac. Many people have never seen poison ivy , or perhaps wouldn't recognize it if they saw it. Poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac belong to the plant genus Toxicodendron (previously referred to as Rhus ). Toxicodendron means "poisonous tree." These plants have an oil-based substance in the resin on their leaves and in their stems and branches called urushiol that causes a delayed skin reaction in about 50% of people that contact it. Urushiol may cause severe contact dermatitis in people that have previousl...
You should knowAnswers to your question are meant to provide general health information but should not replace medical advice you receive from a doctor. No answers should be viewed as a diagnosis or recommended treatment for a condition. Content posted by community members does not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media, which also reserves the right to remove material deemed inappropriate.