Hi, I have been using splenda for at least 3 years. Recently, for about the last 3 months, I started itching very badly on my arm. I thought it might be stress or something but my doctor said that was doubtful and that it might have something in my diet or detergent I am reacting to. I have a large cup of coffee with 2 splenda packs every morning... however, a few months ago I started using 3 instead and now that I think about it, that's when the itching started. I have now switched to using Honey or Agave nectar instead, which are natural substitutes.
Now, for those that say you don't "develop" allergies, you are wrong. I have 2 kids and I can assure with that along with my feet growing a half size bigger (lol), I have also developed a few allergic reactions that I never had before... pregnancy changes your body in many ways. I used to have no problem touching poison ivy (you only have a reaction if you are allergic to it) and now, I will have a rash reaction to it if I come in contact with it.
I am glad I found this blog, it helped to assure me that I was right. Thank you.
OMG...after having a horrible rash on my arms and legs and not knowing what I ate that might have caused it...after going to the doctor and him prescribing Allegra which was not doing anything for this rash...I FINALLY came across this site and other sites of people that had the same issues. And I realized it was Sucralose... I love flavored creamers for my coffee...I had recently bought a new one from Coffee-Mate called 'Italian Creme'...Well it contained 'Sucralose'. I had also been adding a vitamin supplement to my milk shakes that contained 'Sucralose'. SO of course, I stopped drinking both. A week later, my rash is almost gone. My mother told me to buy the Aloe Vera plant and toast the leaf on a griddle to loosen the gooey stuff inside and then to rub that on my rash so that it sooth it and go away.. I tried that and it definitely worked. I also bought an Aloe Vera Cream from HerbalLife called "Herbal Aloe--Soothing Gel" and I apply it to my rash whenever it starts itching. Little by little it is going away... Before doing all this I bought a lotion that someone had suggested on one of these sites called "Caladryl", its a pink bottle and it contains 'calamine plus itch reliever' and let me tell you that soothed the itching though the rash was not going away but it soothed the itching so that's all that mattered at the time, but the Aloe Vera actually made my rash go away...I hope this helps those of you going through the same thing... You are not alone, I don't know if that soothes you but it made me feel better to know I wasn't alone in this crazy scenario...
The maltodextrin in Splenda is the cause of your hives. Of this I am certain. If you were to eat other products with maltodextrin, you would experience the same consequence. The severity of your reaction (mild case of hives compared to severe) would depend on the amount of maltodextrin in the product.
It's not the Splenda...it's the MALTODEXTRIN in the Splenda.
Avoid maltodextrin, and you will not get hives.
We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.