ok so apparently I have contact dermatitis and this has been going on for about 2 years nows . About a month ago the symptoms became so severe I went to E.R. Fingers were swollen,itchy,burning,and very painful,painful blisters half the size of my fingers that eventually popped and then the oozing,hard,cracked,swollen ,peeling began. I work as a Sushi chef and over time I knew I had some sort of reaction ,more like poison ivy. So over the counter everything I could get my hands on treatment began . I enjoy my job very much so I started a dairy of sorts and started eliminating certain things . So I am pretty sure the reaction is coming from the tuna I use . Went to allergist last week for patch testing ,brought in 3 types of fish I most often work with . Patch test came up negative . Now the tuna I brought in with me was about 4 days old ,dried up and the person doing the test was having a hard time getting any "juice" from tuna . wanted to bring in fresh tuna as the is what causes the reaction but the fish vendor was late that day (of course).I have noticed that when I open the package of tuna fresh it has so much liquid and my itching swelling begin within hours . So I guess Im just trying to figure out what can possibly be in that fresh tuna that can cause this . If someone out there has any suggestions for me . I have been "googling" for hours and hours . should I go for re-testing with the fresh fish? maybe a chemical or preservative ?
Angel, I would definitely encourage you to get more testing! It's really hard to say what might be causing your reaction without testing. At one time, I was having a similar reaction on my fingers when I peeled fresh shrimp (although I have never had any type of food allergies), but then I stopped having any issues. I have no idea if it had to do with preservatives or what. But I took precautions for a long time (wearing rubber gloves when peeling the shrimp).
Anyway, talk to your allergist about your next course of action...