New Alzheimer's Association Report, Ad Campaign Encourage Awareness
This morning the Alzheimer's Association released a new report, 2008 Alzheimer's Disease Facts and Figures, that provides the latest and greatest information concerning this disease. This new report provides the latest statistical information of U.S. data related to Alzheimer's disease, including prevalence, mortality, the costs related to Alzheimer's care, family caregivng, and lifetime risk.
The Alzheimer's Association's website lists some important facts from this report:
- As many as 5.2 million people in the United States are living with Alzheimer's.
- 10 million baby boomers will develop Alzheimer's in their lifetime.
- Every 71 seconds, someone develops Alzheimer's.
- Alzheimer's is the seventh-leading cause of death.
- The direct and indirect costs of Alzheimer's and other dementias to Medicare, Medicaid and businesses amount to more than $148 billion each year.
In addition, the Alzheimer's Association is launching a nationwide television and print ad campaign to encourage awareness as well as involvement. ABC, CBS and NBC will air the commercials during their morning programming this week while other cable networks will show the television ads through the beginning of May.
I hope you'll read this report, watch for these ads, and share this very important information with family, friends, colleagues and policymakers who need to know about the multiple complex challenges that individuals, families and this nation face from this devastating disease.