September marks world awareness of Alzheimer’s disease
Just as the month of June was set aside to raise awareness of elder abuse, November has been set aside for National Alzheimer’s Awareness and National Caregiver’s Month. However, Alzheimer’s disease is a world-wide problem, and that fact is being recognized this month, with Sept 21, 2011 designated as World Alzheimer’s Awareness Day.
- Purple is the color of Alzheimer’s awareness world-wide, so use the color purple where you can, to show your support.
- Take part by helping a friend or neighbor who is caring for a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Donate to your favorite Alzheimer’s organization.
- Organize an awareness campaign of your own, online, or in your community.
- Volunteer at a nursing home.
- Drive someone who no longer can because of his or her dementia.
Researchers are working feverishly to find a way to prevent or cure Alzheimer’s disease, yet at this time we only know that we must take good care of our general health with diet, exercise, socializations and mental stimulation.
We want to find out more. Support those who work for this important cause in any way you can, and let us know what you are doing!