Monday, January 04, 2010 Linlee, Community Member, asks

Q: ? nusing home for alcohol related dementia ?

How do I find a nursing home for my 83 year old father with alcohol related dementia only on social security?

Answer This
Answers (2)
AFA Social Services, Health Guide
1/ 5/10 12:43pm

The first thing you may want to consider doing is narrowing down a list of facilities based on the geographic area in which you want your father to reside. A good way to start is by visiting, a Web site that lists all nursing facilities available by state. You can use this site to review facility rating history as well. Once you have narrowed down your search, schedule a tour with the facilities you have in mind, and check it out for yourself. This can be the best way to determine if a place is suitable for your father – both from his perspective and from that of the facility. When making such decisions, it’s not only important to find a place that is pleasing to the eye, but that is a good match for your loved one so he can benefit from their services today and in the future. Making this match can be a delicate process, so make sure to discuss your concerns with staff, and bring up situations your father has dealt with in the past to see how they would respond to them. Mention the fact that your father has a specific kind of dementia, and ask about whether the facility caters to individuals with alcohol-related dementia. You want to make sure the staff is not only familiar with this type of dementia, but that they are prepared to skillfully manage it as well. Use this time wisely by asking about things that are most important to you and your father, such as recreational programs, meals, medical care, financial concerns, etc. You should also stop by their finance department to discuss payment options. If your father is only on Social Security, he may have to convert his insurance status to Medicaid to cover daily costs. The finance department can instruct you what to do from there.

NC, Community Member
1/ 4/10 11:14am



Is your father very poor without owning any properties? If it is the case, he can try to apply for medicaid. The rule is different for each state. The medicaid will allow him to enter a nursing home for dementia care. There are assisted living for dementia care or dementia center in nursing homes. He would have to pick the home that accepts medicaid. The health care reform just passed but the new laws won't apply until 2014.

For now, he can try medicaid. Medicare A/B only covers 3 to 5 months in the nursing homes provided that he is very sick when he enters the home.


Take care,


Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By Linlee, Community Member— Last Modified: 10/26/11, First Published: 01/04/10