Thursday, October 30, 2014

Thursday, February 11, 2010 jillian, Community Member, asks

Q: what do you do with an elderly person who has no money?

My mom spent her reverse mortgage and now has no equity left. She does not

get around well, as she just received an operation on her hip, that is slow to heal.

She can not pay her bills, and needs care. It is not possible for her to live with me.

What can she do?

Answer This
Answers (3)
Carol Bradley Bursack, Health Guide
2/12/10 9:41am

Hi Jillian,

This is so sad and far too common. I would go directly to your state's Web site under aging services and find contact information. Ask that contact person what you should do for your mom. They should know your local services. If your mom isn't on Medicaid, she will need to be. But she needs subsidized housing of some kind. Many things are locally administered, but go to the state and they should be able to direct you.



NC, Community Member
2/11/10 11:03pm

Hi Jillian,


I am sorry about your Mom, Jillian. Does she have dementia?

Can she apply for medicaid? I am not sure if she needs to sell the house but she can try to apply for it now that she has no money. The house may be one problem but if she moves out, she will have to pay back the reverse mortgage by selling the house, she may then be poor enough to get medicaid. Each state is different, please try that one. In some state, she needs to be poor enough for 3 years to get it. You can ask social secuity office what other options she may have. Once she gets the help like medicaid, you should consider an assisted living facility for her.


Good luck,



AFA Social Services, Health Guide
2/12/10 11:31am

If your mother is facing financial difficulty and does not have the funds to cover her care needs, it is strongly recommended that she (or someone on her behalf) contact Medicaid as soon as possible. Medicaid is a public benefit insurance program that can help offset the high costs of care, such as most home care, adult day care, nursing home care, medical equipment, transportation, medications, etc. It is a good idea to file a Medicaid application right away to help manage your mother’s finances for the future and learn more about the options available to her. For more information, please contact 1-800-MEDICARE, or visit the Web sites and

Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By jillian, Community Member— Last Modified: 10/26/11, First Published: 02/11/10