• mike mike
    January 10, 2009
    is there a drug to sedate the anger out of a dementia patient?
    mike mike
    January 10, 2009

    My dad is 73 yrs. very good shape physically and is very anger a violent towards my mom. Is there a drug that can calm him down. He won't bath, stays up all night and destroys the house.




  • Connie Moore January 10, 2009
    Connie Moore
    January 10, 2009

    Is your dad in home hospice care? If he is yes but you have to tell them what he is doing. My husband is in Home hospice and the biggest mistake I made was not getting him there sooner. He sundowns very badly and becomes extremely aggitated during the evening hours. they have him on three different medications now that help. They even have a medication you can rub on them that will help to calm them and it is fast acting because most of the time when this happens they will also refuse to take the medication. At the point your dad sounds like he is at you need him in home hospice. Once he is there they will take a huge burden off your mother. He can still be home but he will be calmed and nolonger abusive. If you chose to go this route you can email me and I will give you more information on Home hospice care and the medications they have my husband on. If I can help please feel free to write. texasrosem@yahoo.com. I will help in any way I can I am living the same thing right now. My prayers are with you and your family. Connie

  • Martha January 14, 2009
    January 14, 2009

    Hello Mike;

    My mon, 84 year old, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's five years ago.  She went through the usual Neuro clinical evaluations, MRIs, & neurology consults.  Started on Aricept, now taking Aricept, Namenda, Cerefolin & Seroquel.  The Seroquel has managed her "nastiness" very welll.  Starting out at low doses of 25 mg twice a day she is now on 100 mg twice day and tolerates its very well with no somulence.  She currently is living with my husband and I. We have caretakers that keep her very active Monday thru Friday from 10:00 am till 6:00pm.  Her schedule includes trips to the senior centers, library for lectures, lunches and just plain socilaizing.  She now laughs everyday, is happy and a joy to be around. The difficulty that we have currently is finding foods that she enjoys other than ice cream, cakes & cookies.  Getting her to eat a balanced meal is a challenge that we constantly research.


    Through my years as a nurse and caretaker I have found that often time men can become a "little bit" grumpy as they get older.  One thought is that the reduction of testosterone levels due to the aging process may be part of the problem.  Speaking to your Dad's primary care physician or urologist may be of benefit.  Keep in mind that any man treated for prostate cancer is not a candidate for increasing testosterone levels as it may potentiate the risk of recurrence.


    I wish you well in your quest. I understand very well what you are experiencing.

    • Jean
      October 28, 2013
      October 28, 2013
      When your mom was on 25 mg of seroquel did she seem more confused and agitated? How did she respond to the 25mg and why did you increase to 100 mg? READ MORE
    Click here to login before answering a question
You should know Answers to your question are meant to provide general health information but should not replace medical advice you receive from a doctor. No answers should be viewed as a diagnosis or recommended treatment for a condition. Content posted by community members does not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media, which also reserves the right to remove material deemed inappropriate.