Scholarship Available for High School Seniors with Asthma
If you're a senior in high school and you have asthma, you may qualify for the Will to Win Scholarship by Merck Respiratory. Ten $5,000 scholarships are available.
Merck is promoting this scholarship to "encourage young people with asthma to lead active, healthy lives and pursue their dreams," according to willtowinscholarship.com.
I know from personal experience how challenging it is to overcome the obstacles asthma creates. And if you were able to overcome these obstacles to achieve excellence at school, Merck wants to reward you for this accomplishment.
To qualify, you'll need to have achieved a level of excellence in one of the following:
- Visual arts
- Community service
Likewise, you'll have to meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrate outstanding performance in one of the above categories
- Document a track record of achievements relevant to entry category
- Hold a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Have received at least one award related to their entry category
- Include all appropriate signatures, as noted in the application (click here to apply)
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Acceptance to an accredited U.S. college
- Enrollment in college for the fall 2011 semester
Merck Respiratory has been awarding scholarships to high school seniors with asthma seeking a higher education for 23 years. This year a total of $50,000 in scholarships will be awarded, which include two $5,000 scholarships in each of the following categories (you can apply for only one):
- Performing Arts (dance, music, theater)
- Visual Arts (painting, drawing, sculpture, photography, film)
- Community Service
This seems like a good opportunity if you have asthma and are planning to attend college next fall. If you excel in one of the above areas, you should definitely apply.
"So," the site notes, "whether you excel in the classroom or the community, in the arts or on the field or court, apply for a Will to Win Scholarship now. Take pride in your achievements today - it could help pay for college tomorrow. Ten $5,000 scholarships are available."
There are no application fees or similar requirements - all you need to do is fill out a scholarship application (available on the website) and submit this by the April 30 deadline with a list of accomplishments, high school transcript, letter(s) of support and your story of excellence.
You'll need to write a little story about how you were able to excel despite having asthma, your most significant accomplishment, or your goals for the future (it only needs to be two to three pages).
If you've excelled despite having asthma, here's your opportunity to be rewarded for your hard work. Apply soon!