What Is an Allergist/Immunologist?

  • A common recommendation for people who have asthma and allergies is to seek consultation with an allergist or immunologist. But you may be wondering what that is, exactly, and why it's so important.


    An allergist or immunologist is a doctor that has been specially trained to manage and treat allergies and asthma. Nine years of education and training must be completed in order to get certified in this specialty:

    • 4 years of medical school (following 4 years of college)
    • 3 years of training in internal medicine or pediatrics, after which they must also pass an exam
    • 2 more years of training in a fellowship program dedicated to studying allergic disease

    Seems kind of obvious that an allergist/immunologist is the best man or woman for the job of treating allergy and asthma, doesn't it?

    Add This Infographic to Your Website or Blog With This Code:


    Allergists are trained in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of immune system problems that include allergies, asthma, inherited immunodeficiency diseases, autoimmune diseases and even AIDS.


    Patients under the care of an allergist tend to have fewer asthma symptoms, miss less days of work or school, and are generally in better health.


    Allergists know the most about allergic disease, so they can diagnose with more accuracy, as well as prescribe the right combination of treatment methods to fit your situation.


    To find an allergist, you can use the American Academy of Asthma Allergy & Immunology's Find a Doctor feature:




    Source: http://www.aaaai.org/media/resources/allergist.asp

Published On: June 05, 2007