It's May... can you believe summer will soon be kicking off, with vacations, holidays and trips away from home in store for many of us?
For many people, summer is an exciting time of year, but for people who have asthma, it can also be a dangerous time. Asthma is often triggered by climate changes, as well as other environmental triggers. When you travel, you may be coming into contact with potential new asthma triggers.
So it's important to prepare ahead of time and prevent asthma attacks from happening so that your vacation or holiday trip will not be affected by your asthma. Here are some tips to help you prepare:
- Put together a written "personal medical record" that records your diagnosis, your triggers, and both the brand name and generic (chemical) name of any medications that you take.
- Stock up on your asthma medicines before you leave for a trip so that you don't run out while you're away. Don't forget to include your quick-relief/rescue inhaler too, even if you don't use it that often at home.
- Make sure you have an up-to-date asthma action plan that can guide you in case your symptoms do start to heat up. Talk with your doctor if you need to, so that you can be sure you know what to do in case of emergency.
- Investigate where you will be able to get emergency help at your vacation destination. That way, you won't have to try to do research after an asthma attack starts; you'll already know where to go.
Once your vacation begins, here are a couple more tips:
- Be sure to carry your personal medical record with you at all times.
- Carry your asthma medicine on the plane in your carry on bag if you fly. If your checked luggage doesn't arrive with you, you'll still have the medicine you need.
- Try to avoid vigorous activity during hot, humid weather or when pollen counts are high. If you can, stay indoors in air conditioning during these times.
Having asthma doesn't mean you can't still enjoy vacations. But taking the time and effort to prepare and make the right decisions can make all the difference!
Published On: May 06, 2007