Saturday, October 25, 2014
Introducing Mood 24/7, a new tool that helps you track your mood from day to day using your mobile phone. Try it today!

Monday, March 09, 2009 Julie, Community Member, asks

Q: My child with Bipolar is not getting an education in public school what do I do?

I am a parent of a 10 year old son with Bipolar.  He is sent home from school everyday.

He doesn't really have friends.  I need somewhere to go!! He is a smart boy but public

school is to much for him and he is melting down daily.

Answer This
Answers (4)
John McManamy, Health Guide
3/ 9/09 5:55pm

Hi, Julie. I can't help you here, but I've listened to hundreds of parents of bipolar kids and have some understanding of what you are going through. You need to get in touch with other parents, as they are by far your best source of info. The place to go is the Child and Adolescent Bipolar Foundation. This is a great group of people.

BiPoPastor, Community Member
3/10/09 1:20pm

In Indiana, and I suppose there are similar laws everywhere, the school is REQUIRED to provide an education to all children under the age of, I think, 22, or graduation, whichever comes first. First off, and most schools won't mention this due to the cost, your child must be evaluated to offically determine his "disability". Then it is the schools responsibility to provide whatever type of education is necessary for that child.


They will stall, bully you and try any way possible to get you to "go away". He is your child ... stand your ground and demand your rights. Once you find out your child's rights, go to the school administrator and let them know that you know your son's rights, and they will be met; either in the school, or in the court system.


My father spent his entire career addressing the needs of children with all types of disabilities and he might be willing to talk with you, if you'd like. Email me off-site at: bipolarpastor@yahoo, and I'll try to put you in touch with him.


God bless and fight a good fight!


Winstin C. Smith


Take a stand for him ... he deserves it!

BiPoPastor, Community Member
3/10/09 1:24pm

Sorry, winston here again. I forgot to mention that, in INdiana, the school is required to provide an education that take into account the childs learning capacity, even if the best place for him is in another state.


I know thaat someof the kids in my area were sent to schools out-of-state because that is where they could best be taught, and their disability could be dealt with. Some schools had to pay well over $100,000 annually, which also included the cost of periodic trips by the parents to visit.

Joanne, Community Member
1/12/11 12:25pm

Hi There


I understand how frustrating this must be but there are companies out there that can help! I work for this particular on


Give us a call if you still have the same probs!





Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By Julie, Community Member— Last Modified: 05/08/13, First Published: 03/09/09