If I didn't find humor during my 2 bouts with breast cancer, radiation, Chemo & 14 reconstructive surgeries I would have gone completely mad. Here are a few examples I remember just off the top of my head.
1. My grandaughter loved to rub my bald head and one time a man came over to my daughters house to give her a bid on a job, he was bald so she rubbed his head.
2. When I wore long dangly earring I looked like Mr Clean.
3. My granddaughter would carry my wig around saying, "Nanna"s hair".
4. I could be a blonde, brunette, red head or blonde or black headed all with the aid of the different wigs I purchased or people loaned me. It was kinda fun actually.
5. There was a certain freedom in being bald it was somehow empowering.
6. I learned to feel sorry for bald men because all your heat comes out of your head. In the winter I wore this little pull over caps my girlfriend gave me & they were great.
7. Going through my reconstruction surgery I knew no matter how my breasts would turn out they'd always be perky! I figured I will be one of the few women in the nursing home who's breast don't lay down when I do.
That's just a few of the things I remember off the top of my head.
Published On: March 10, 2008
BRCA Gene Mutations4 Ways to Reduce Your Risk Linked to BRCA
Living With7 Common Carcinogens You Should Be Avoiding
Test Your KnowledgeWhat Do You Know About the Most Common Type of Breast Cancer?