Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Just Diagnosed with Cancer? Chat with Experts

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 Wanda, Community Member, asks

Q: Is there any financial assistance for breast cancer patients?

I am just in the beginning stages of breast cancer. I've already had my surgery which required the removal of two tumors. Now I must face chemo and radiation. I am 51 years old and am on medicare. The 20 percent that I must take care is still going to be tremendous for me. I am a single woman and only have myself to make sure that I receive the treatments that I need. I am very worried and concerned about the financial aspect as well as the breast cancer too. Do you know of any type of financial aid that I can apply for? Thanks, Wanda

Answer This
Answers (3)
PJ Hamel, Health Guide
7/ 8/08 7:23am

Hi Wanda: It's tough, not only fighting breast cancer, but finding a way to pay the bills. The Cancer Information Network has a great Web page devoted to financial assistance of all kinds for cancer treatment; I think that's a good place to start. Also, ask your local hospital if they receive funds from Susan G. Komen for the Cure, which has money available for financial assistance for breast cancer patients. As does the American Cancer Society 


The Breast and Cervical Cancer Treatment Act provides funds to treat breast and cervical cancer for some low-income women. States must adopt the program in order to receive matching federal funds. For more information, contact the Centers for Disease Control at 1-888-842-6355 or online at



Cynthia, Community Member
8/11/10 7:43pm

Hello my name is Missouri I was recently diaognosed with stage 2 breast cancer, I'm single women my income drop in the last few months and I am force to move and stay with my son in PA, but my Doctors and treatments are in New Jersey is there any financail support available to provide housing and assistamce while I am going through this process, I start chemo the end of this month and to tell you the truth I am quite concerned and need to focus on healing my body is there any financail support anywher for women with breast cancer?

PJ Hamel, Health Guide
8/11/10 8:46pm

Hi Missouri - with your rsidence in one stat eand treatment in another, it could get complicated, as many programs are state-focused. I'd suggest you get in touch with the closest office of the American Cancer Society - closest to where you live - and explain your situation. Hopefully they can help you figure out how to get through this financially - while also helping your emotionally. The ACS is a good group - take advantage of their services. Best of luck - PJH

Kim Lokos, Community Member
9/29/10 4:50am

I'm not sure

PJ Hamel, Health Guide
9/29/10 4:59am

Here's a good wrap-up of financial resources for breast cancer patients. PJH

CHW BOI, Community Member
5/12/11 10:50am

You could find a benefit couseler in your area to assist you , but as a CHW I would suggest that you contact medicaid program in your state and see if they have a program that would pay your coinsurance, and deductible. here in Texas it is called QMB  (Qualified Medicare Beneficiaries) as an indvidual you can make up to 903.00 per month in Texas , or you could at lest try for what we call SLMB (Specified low income Medicare Beneficciary).Embarassed

Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By Wanda, Community Member— Last Modified: 12/07/12, First Published: 07/08/08