I would interpret the doctor's directions to mean come back in six months if the situation remains stable. New symptoms mean a new visit. I hope everything checks out OK, but there is no reason to wait two more months when you are in pain.
Hi Linca - Not sure why, if they saw something on the mammogram, they didn't do further diagnostic testing right then and there. Did you have an ultrasound, an MRI, or anything else? Did they give you any idea what the lump might be? A cyst, a fibroadenoma...?
In general, breast cancer doesn't produce pain, so that's a good sign that you DO have pain; but if this pain persists longer than a week or so, then that qualifies as a breast change; and I'd definitely call the doctor and tell him/her you'd like to be seen now, rather than wait the remaining 2 months. Good luck - PJH
Hello, the radiologist did call me back in for more mammo views and an ultrasound. I did go back for more imaging, and they stayed on that area for a very long time. It gave me a sinking feeling...
(Side note) - I have had microcysts before and fibroadenomas. They have drained and tested the cysts and surgically removed the fibroadenomas well over 2 years ago, and none of them gave me any pain -this feels different
After they took more images 4 months ago, I took the films to my breast surgeon who reviewed the film and breast. She then said that it was tiny and that my breasts are very "busy", so she wanted to see if there would be any change and or growth over the next 6 months. It has been 4 months, and I have been having aches and pains in my left breast (never the right) for almost the whole 4 months. My left breast has always been slightly smaller than the right - now they look to be the same size...also, I am 44.
I agree with Phyllis - why wait? Go ahead and make an appointment. It'll keep you from having to stress for the next 2 months, right? Keep in mind, as I said, pain is seldom a breast cancer symptom, so the odds are with you that this is nothing to worry about. Take care- PJH