Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Just Diagnosed with Cancer? Chat with Experts

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 jayne, Community Member, asks

Q: Question anbout dry patch around nipple area?

I have a dry patch on my nipple - which is clearing but the skin is now a different colour underneath - and I can notice it quite clearly - I suffer from itchy breasts (both) and told they were hormonal due to my age - 42. We have no breast cancer history that I am aware of in our family.

My question is - which doctor should I go to first - as I live in Greece and we go to specialists - side stepping the GP. Should I go to a skin or gyno?

Any help would be appreciated - really want to check it out. Thanks

Answer This
Answers (1)
PJ Hamel, Health Guide
9/30/09 5:42am

If they have breast specialists there, Jayne, you could bypass everyone else and go right to the doctor who'll be able to give you the clearest answer. A breast specialist deals with ALL breast issues. Next best choice would be your gyno. You want to rule out Paget's Disease, which is a rare breast cancer that can start with changes in the nipple/areola. While it's most probably something else, it would be good to have that possibility checked, OK? Good luck - PJH

Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By jayne, Community Member— Last Modified: 12/24/10, First Published: 09/30/09