Friday, October 24, 2014
Just Diagnosed with Cancer? Chat with Experts

Monday, November 10, 2008 Shari, Community Member, asks

Q: Breast indentation or dimpling

Approximately two months ago I noticed an indentation (or dimpling, as my doctor refers to it) under my right areola when I raised my arm.  At that time I also noticed that my breasts were asymmetric.  The right breast seemed smaller and seemed to sag more than the left.  I saw my pcp and he referred me to a surgeon.  The surgeon didn't seem too concerned but suggested an MRI because of my dense breast tissue on mammogram.  Insurance wouldn't approve it, so I had an ultrasound instead which came back normal.  My question is, should I be concerned and fight to have the MRI approved, or should I just "wait and see" as my surgeon suggests?  All the information I've seen about dimpling of breast tissue appears to me a malignancy.


Thanks to anyone who can help me with this decision!


Answer This
Answers (2)
PJ Hamel, Health Guide
11/10/08 4:58pm

Hi Shari - Dimpling isn't necessarily due to cancer, but it can certainly be a symptom. I'd fight for that MRI. I've never been a fan of the "wait and see" approach with anything concerning your breasts. MRIs are particularly suited to women with dense breasts, so it would definitely be a good screening tool for you. See if you can work with your doctor/surgeon to get them to tell the insurance company it's a necessary test, OK? Good luck - PJH

SanSan, Community Member
12/ 1/11 7:22am

Don't wait. Go See. There are some places that will give a free Mammogram according to income guidlines. If you don't qualify in that regard then get a prescription from oyur doctor and find an inexpensive place (everyone charges something different) and put it on a credit card or borrow the money (about $200.00) and make payments. God Bless.

Germana Ganpat, Community Member
12/ 8/11 7:02pm

I don't have insurance and in despreat need of a mammogram any suggestion would be greatfully appreacitate.  Please help i live in Queens, New York.


Thank you.

PJ Hamel, Health Guide
12/ 8/11 8:46pm

This shouldn't be a problem. Go to whatever hospital you'd usually access, and speak to the social workers. Ask them if they have a federal or grant-based program that provides reduced-cost or free mammograms to women in your situation; most hospitals do. If they can't help you, please read our post on mammograms for underserved women. There's a link there that'll take you to contact information for New York state that will help you find a facility to get you the mammogram you need. Good luck - PJH

Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By Shari, Community Member— Last Modified: 12/08/11, First Published: 11/10/08