Fall has arrived and so has cooler weather. One of my favorite parts of this change in season is the food (naturally!). Try this savory soup from our sister site, FoodFit.com, to warm you up on a chilly night.
Smoked Chicken and Black Bean Soup
This recipe serves: 8
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 1 hour
2 cups dried black turtle beans, soaked
1 strip bacon, diced
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced green pepper
1 tablespoon minced jalapeño chili pepper
freshly ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro stems
6 cups low-sodium canned chicken or vegetable broth
salt to taste
2 whole boneless smoked chicken breasts, grilled
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
1. Drain the beans and set aside.
2. Cook the bacon in a 4-quart pot over low-medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onion, celery, green pepper and jalapeño pepper, season lightly with black pepper and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
3. Add the bay leaf, cilantro stems, beans and broth and bring to a boil quickly over high heat.
4. Lower the heat and simmer until the beans are completely tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
5. Remove and discard the bay leaf, puree half of the soup in a blender and then add it to the rest of the soup. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
6. Remove and discard the skin and fat from the chicken breasts. Cut the meat into 1/2" cubes.
7. Divide the chicken among the soup bowls, mounding it in the center, and ladle the soup around it. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
NOTE: Do not add salt until the beans are fully cooked because salt will prevent them from becoming tender.
Serving Size about 1 cup
Amount Per Serving
Protein 28 g
Total Carbohydrate 33 g
Dietary Fiber 12 g
Soluble Fiber 2 g
Insoluble Fiber 10 g
Sugar 8 g
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
Make it quicker: Substitute 4 cups of drained, canned black beans for the dried beans, omit Step 1 and reduce the cooking time in Step 3 to 10 minutes.
Make it fancy: Blend 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 4 tablespoons non-fat sour cream together. Place a dollop of the cilantro-lime cream on each bowl of soup.
Want more recipes? Try Grilled Chicken with Tomato-Avocado Salsa.
Published On: September 23, 2008