Ten Pain Solutions Worth Trying in 2011
This Christmas, I wish you joy and hope. Hope for a solution to chronic pain. Even just the slightest glimmer of hope can create a sustainable source of positive energy. Where does hope lie for you in this upcoming New Year? Here is a list of possibilities.
1. Nucynta: Many medication options exist for pain, but Nucynta is unique, effective and well tolerated.
2. Tempur-Pedic Supreme Cloud: I'd have a lot more pain (and did have) if it wasn't for my "cloud".
3. Hypnosis: Retraining and reprogramming the mind with hypnosis can have a dramatic effect on the pain signal from the brain.
4. TENS: This electrical device called a transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulator (TENS) may create an opioid-like effect, may block pain signals, or just feel like "magic fingers".
5. Anti-Inflammatory Diet: Food provides the chemical basis for all good (and bad) things that occur in the body, including inflammation and pain.
6. Zero-Gravity Chair: After a day spent loading the spine by sitting in a traditional chair, unload in a personal oasis of pain relief, a zero-gravity chair.
7. Acupuncture: Acupuncture, an age old therapy would not be around this long if it did not work at least 50% of the time.
8. Assistive Device: Don't call them "walkers" or "canes", just call them an extra helping hand for the entire body. Many body parts can benefit from less stress and you will benefit from more independence and activity.
9. Tai Chi: My own husband, 64 years young, finds the improved balance and strength gained by practicing Tai Chi beneficial for his aches and pains.
10. Distraction: You are in less pain when you are distracted by something you enjoy.
All of these solutions reduce pain at least 40% of the time by virtue of the placebo effect; placebo or not, pain relief is as real as the pain. The key component is to believe in each and every treatment you choose to try. A treatment, any treatment, has a better chance at relieving pain if you believe it will relieve pain. Keep that in mind as you welcome in a New Year with a glimmer of hope on the horizon. May you enter 2011 filled with joy, hope and belief; that is my wish for you.