Preparation for a doctor's appointment is the first step towards recovery and relief. Here are a few tips to help you prepare for success.
- Avoid Distractions: Cell phones, children, and pets can all draw attention away from you, the patient.
- Bring an Advocate: Friends, family members, and significant others offer support and a second pair of ears for listening (and remembering).
- Pick One Problem: Because time is limited, pick the one problem that you want to disappear.
- Make a List About the One Problem: A list of questions will help you and your doctor focus on solving the problem together.
- Find the Office: Instead of getting lost and being late for your first appointment, find the office the day before (plus you might as well stop in and fill out the paperwork too).
- Don't Come to the Appointment Drunk or High: Seriously, need I say more?
- Wear a Bathing Suit: Modesty or changing clothes--these time-losing issues get in the way between you and a good appointment with your doctor.
- Bring a Pen and Paper: You may want to take a few notes to help you remember something important later.
Do you have some other tips for improving a doctor's appointment? Please share it in a comment below because communication creates solutions.
Published On: August 10, 2008