Getting a good night's sleep is one of the most important factors in treating fibromyalgia, but it is also one of the most difficult to accomplish. So when I saw a press release for Goodnighties®, a new sleepwear for women that claimed to help improve sleep quality, I was intrigued. The headline indicating that Goodnighties was “for Women Suffering from a 'Broken Internal Thermostat,'” immediately grabbed my attention. I can't tell you how many times I've complained that my body's thermostat was broken. I'm almost always too warm.
Then when I got to this paragraph – “Goodnighties sleepwear is made with revolutionary IonX fabric that is scientifically proven to restore muscles, reduce pain, balance the body and bring relief to women who suffer from the effects of night sweats and hot flashes,” I knew I had to try this product. As always, I was skeptical - but if it lived up to it's claims, it could make a huge difference for women with fibromyalgia and many other chronic pain conditions.
I immediately e-mailed the contact person on the press release who responded by inviting me to be a “jammie tester.” I've been so pleased with the results, I wanted to share my experience with you.
How Goodnighties Work
According to the manufacturers, the secret to Goodnighties lies in the IonX fabric from which they're made. IonX is a patented process that builds negative ions into the structure of the fabric. What possible difference could negative ions make? Apparently quite a bit. If you do a quick study on positive and negative ions, you'll discover that our air is bombarded with positive ions from things like pollution, computers, TVs and fluorescent lights. Positive ions can make us feel tired, irritable and depressed. Negative ions, on the other hand, are found in nature – at the beach, near a waterfall, in the mountains, and after a storm. Negative ions tend to give us a sense of well-being, alleviate depression, reduce stress and increase energy.
When a Negative is Positive
The positive effects of negative ions have been studied for many years. A number of those positive effects may be beneficial to people with fibromyalgia, where the claims include:
- Increasing the flow of oxygen to the brain. (FM patients have decreased oxygen levels in specific areas of the brain.)
- Producing biochemical reactions that increase serotonin levels. (People with FM have lower than normal levels of serotonin.)
- Increasing melatonin, which helps to synchronize our biological clocks.
- Helping us reach the REM stage of sleep more quickly. (People with FM usually awaken just before getting into REM sleep.)
- Increasing blood flow, which promotes pain relief and joint mobility.
- Protecting against germs and boosting the immune system. (Positively charged germs are neutralized by negative ions.)