In my New Year's Eve post, Starting a Fresh New Year Despite the Same Old Chronic Pain, I talked about being in a rut and trying to look at various areas of my life from a different perspective. One new community member who commeted on my post said that, although they had been bedridden for the last four to five years, they, too, were ready to make some changes and start trying to get up, do more and get out of their rut.
One of the wonderful things about an interactive site like this is that we can help each other. I suspect many of us have gotten into ruts and limited our activities due to our chronic pain. So I'm asking for your help... for me, for the new community member who asked for ideas, and for any of you who would also like to challenge yourself with some new and different activities.
If we each share the activities or hobbies we enjoy, maybe someone else will discover a new activity that captures their interest. I'll start the ball rolling. Here are some things I enjoy doing:
- Reading and working crossword puzzles – These are old standbys that I've enjoyed for many years.
- Scrapbooking and/or organizing photo albums – This is something I enjoy but never seem to have enough time to do.
- Genealogy research – This is a new area for me. It's been so interesting learning about ancestors I never knew I had.
- Playing iPad games – These games are fun when I just want to relax but can be addicting if I'm not careful. My favorite is playing Dragonvale with all my grandchildren.
- Monthly lunch with friends – Several of us who used to be in an FM support group together meet at a different restaurant each month just for fun. We have a great time and end up laughing through most of the afternoon.
Now it's your turn. How do you spend your time? What do you enjoy doing? Is there something you'd like to do but haven't had the time or opportunity to do yet? Please share so we can help one another get out of our ruts.