Friday, August 01, 2014

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 rosa pike, Community Member, asks

Q: Electrical shock feeling in foot?

My husband has tingling, burning feet that feel like he's having electrical shocks in them. We've been to a few doctors but we've got no answers. They start bothering him at night when the pain starts in his toes and runs to the bottom of his feet. He can hardly walk on them when he wakes up in the morning! Anyone know what this problem is?

Answer This
Answers (3)
Finetuned65, Community Member
4/ 7/11 12:36pm

I would suggest seeing a neurologist.  I suffer from peripheral neuropathy (mine is caused by a genetic disorder) and went from doctor to doctor looking for answers until I was sent to a neurologist.  An emg (measures nerve response with electrical impluse) was done to look for nerve damage.  It is also used to located pinched nerves, etc.

 

Peripheral neuropathy describes damage to the peripheral nervous system, the vast communications network that transmits information from the brain and spinal cord (the central nervous system) to every other part of the body. Peripheral nerves also send sensory information back to the brain and spinal cord, such as a message that the feet are cold or a finger is burned. Damage to the peripheral nervous system interferes with these vital connections. Like static on a telephone line, peripheral neuropathy distorts and sometimes interrupts messages between the brain and the rest of the body.

Because every peripheral nerve has a highly specialized function in a specific part of the body, a wide array of symptoms can occur when nerves are damaged. Some people may experience temporary numbness, tingling, and pricking sensations (paresthesia), sensitivity to touch, or muscle weakness. Others may suffer more extreme symptoms, including burning pain (especially at night) and  muscle wasting.

 

I hope this was of some help to you.  Best of luck

Reply
ricki, Community Member
4/ 7/11 1:08pm

I also have periferal Neuropathy and tuned65 wrote a great letter. It sounds like you have starved the nerves in yyour feet of oxegen and caused this. I take pain meds and lyrica and neurontin that I get free from pfizer. They seem to help.For  some reason all the unwanted nerve responses come,being chewed on by wild animals, stepping on a live wire, itching I can't scratch--- never tickles, caresses or shure footedness. I am told that it is for life.Movement helps.

Reply
Renee Culver, Editor
7/17/14 8:50am

Rosa,

 

You've gotten some good advice from our community members, but allow me to second their suggestion of continuing to seek answers from your doctor. Pain and other issues like this are often difficult to diagnose without being willing to seek another opinion, but your husband's quality of life would likely dramatically improve if he were diagnosed. It's impossible to know for sure if this is a nerve issue, but it does sound like it could be related. Please talk to your husband's doctor about getting a real answer. And good luck!

Reply
Answer This

Important:
We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By rosa pike, Community Member— Last Modified: 07/17/14, First Published: 04/05/11