• Larry Larry
    June 16, 2009
    Wife has severe pain that shoots from her hip to her knee
    Larry Larry
    June 16, 2009

    My wife is constantly in pain from the side of her hip to her knee. We went to the doctor's office and at the mention of fibromyalgia they become hands off and blamed every symptom on it. Is there a specialist, a neurologist, prescription....anything that can be used or suggested to help ease the pain? They keep giving her 800mg Ibuprofen  like it is candy and it really does not help much. Any suggestions of what to do for pain?



  • Karen Lee Richards
    Health Guide
    June 18, 2009
    Karen Lee Richards
    Health Guide
    June 18, 2009

    Unfortunately, when someone has fibromyalgia, doctors and patients alike tend to blame every ache and pain on FM.  But you're right to be looking for an answer.  Any new pain symptoms should be investigated to find the cause.  Just because we have FM doesn't mean we never develop other problems.  The FM can make other problems hurt worse, but it doesn't cause everything.


    An orthopaedic specialist is probably the best doctor to see for the type and location of pain you describe.  Until you can get an appointment, you might want to try our Symptom Checker to see if you can narrow down the possibilities of what might be causing the pain.  (Select the "Leg" button on the Symptom Checker to get to hip pain problems.)  Here's the link:  Symptom Checker


    Does your wife have a doctor who is treating her FM?  There are three medications now approved for the treatment of FM, as well as a number of others that can be prescribed off-label.  See:  Medications Prescribed for Fibromyalgia   If she doesn't have a regular doctor who is treating her FM, she might want to consider seeing a rheumatologist since they have traditionally been the specialty that has dealt with FM. 


    If you or your wife would like more information about FM, we have lots of good articles covering all aspects of FM:  Fibromyalgia


    I hope you're able to find a doctor who can help her soon.


  • Jude June 19, 2009
    June 19, 2009

    I too had very painful hip and knee pain...It hurt to walk up and down stairs and even to drive a car for any length of time...so I when to Orthpedic doctor. I found that I had bursitis and water behind my knee cap.  I was told to take Aleve and to put ice behind my knee and rest for a week or so...then to try my normal activities.

    but it still hurt to walk and sleep. or I had have cordisone shots injected my hip area...I also had to take Aleve twice a day...One table in the a.m. and I in the p.m 

    Three days after the injection and taking the Aleve seemed to help get rid of the water on my knee and the cortisone helped the pain in my hip. 


    I was told to take vitiaims D, C, Calcium and E. Which also seemed to help over time. It was a slow process...  I also applied a heating paid to the hip and behind my knee cap to sleep at night.


    X-Rays showed that I had no bone damage so no sugery was necessary...


    Then I was told to take walks to strength my legs and a knee muscles which seemed take some pressure off my hip and knee.  Believe it or it all worked. But took 3 months

    before the pain started to go away...I only needed 2 cordisone injections over a 6 months period.

    I now walk and exercise every day for just 30 minutes to strength my legs , knee and hip. I no long have the pain in my hip or knee...?? I hope this gives you some insight

    and relieve and I hope you too find a solution for your pain ....Good Luck



You should know Answers to your question are meant to provide general health information but should not replace medical advice you receive from a doctor. No answers should be viewed as a diagnosis or recommended treatment for a condition. Content posted by community members does not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media, which also reserves the right to remove material deemed inappropriate.