I always thought the saying “Hair today, gone tomorrow” related to men. That’s not the case. It turns out that as we go through menopause, women can experience thinning of their follicles.
According to MedlinePlus , which is a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine and National Institutes of Health, the average scalp has 100,000 hairs and each person loses approximately 100 hairs daily. Each hair grows an average of about half an inch a month and grows on average for 2-6 years. After a cycle of rest, the hair falls out and a new strand begins to grow in its place. Approximately 85% of your hair is in the growth phase, while the other 15% is in the resting phase.
So let's look at hair loss. “The main difference between male and female hair loss is that in women, hair follicles are rarely damaged, which means when the cause of the hair loss is addressed, hair can often regrow,” Barbara Seaman and Laura Eldridge write in the...
If you've lost your hair from chemotherapy, or it’s just starting to grow back, the most important thing during the summer is to protect the skin on your head from the sun. Beyond that, do whatever is most comfortable for you in the heat of summer.
You might decide to wear a scarf, turban, or hat. If so, choose a breathable, washable fabric like cotton to absorb sweat and keep you cool.
If you are most comfortable with nothing on your head, remember that your scalp isn't used to sunlight and can burn easily. If you go outdoors in the daytime with no head covering, be sure to put plenty of sunblock (SPF 45 or higher, zinc-based) on your head, ears, and face.
There are different options available if you decide to wear a wig.
Youval Balistra, a hair stylist at Ralph Manne Salon in Wynnewood, PA, presents both synthetic and human hair wig options to women undergoing chemotherapy. He tries to meet each client before treatment, to evaluate her natural hairstyle, color, and texture. The wig ...
Definition A hair transplant is a surgical procedure to improve baldness. Description During a hair transplant, a physician moves hairs from an area of thick growth to bald areas. Most hair transplants are performed in an office setting under local anesthesia . You should only experience minimal pain. After thoroughly cleaning the scalp, the surgeon uses small needles to numb an area where there is normal hair growth on the back of the scalp. A portion of the hairy scalp is then removed with a scalpel and set aside. The scalp is sewn closed. Small groups of hairs, or individual hairs, are separated out from the removed scalp using a magnifying lens and sharp blade. The area that will receive these healthy hairs (usually the front of the scalp) is cleaned and numbed with more small needles. Finally, tiny holes are made in the front of the scalp. Healthy hairs are delicately placed in the holes. During a single treatment session, hundreds or even thousands of hairs may be transplanted. Why the ...
You should knowAnswers to your question are meant to provide general health information but should not replace medical advice you receive from a doctor. No answers should be viewed as a diagnosis or recommended treatment for a condition. Content posted by community members does not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media, which also reserves the right to remove material deemed inappropriate.