Friday, November 12, 2010 NDwlovesangel, Community Member, asks

Q: What Kind Of Doctor Treats Muscle Pain?

I have had muscle pain starting in my hip and radiating down to my ankle for six weeks now. I had an epidural in the hip joint, then the following week I had an epidural in the L5 disc. These gave me no relief, so the doctor says it has to be a muscle problem. He keeps giving me differant drugs, but nothing is stopping the pain. It goes from a 6 to a 10 or 12 on the pain scale in a matter of seconds. What kind of doctor would treat this?

Answer This
Answers (1)
Cort, Health Guide
11/16/10 3:30pm

Has the area been scanned to see what's up? Often muscle pain is treated by rheumatologists but osteopaths specialize in the muscle/skeletal system and there are kinesiologist and chiropracters in the alternative health fields. Also, if you're a person who is dealing with long-term or chronic pain, often you will be referred to a pain specialist who can find the right mix of physical therapy and medications to help ease your symptoms. You might ask your doctor if a pain specialist could help you at this point.

Here are some links to articles that might be helpful to you as you're dealing with this.  Good luck!

Let's Talk Pain Meds

Why Yoga May Help Soothe Many Types of Chronic Pain

Using Mindfulness Meditation to Alleviate Physical Pain

NDwlovesangel, Community Member
11/16/10 6:27pm

I have had an MRI of the spine and it showed thinning in the L5 4 & 3 disk I went in and had an epidural block done , ( did nothing ) I had an x-ray of the hip and Pelvis it showed minor degeneration in the hip joint less then most women my age (54) had an epidural block on that ( did Nothing) I am going next week for an MRI on the Pelvis and I do go to the Life Chiropratic colllege and the girl that is working on me has been doing some massaging of the buttock and back of my upper leg she is able to get out many knots and I feel better for a few days they are getting less and less and she is able to get deeper each time, Candi

Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By NDwlovesangel, Community Member— Last Modified: 07/18/14, First Published: 11/12/10