Friday, October 31, 2014

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 brownbunny, Community Member, asks

Q: Can a Neurologist help with back Pain

I have been having low back pain for a year now, was in the hospital and rehab to walk again, had a second MRI 2 weeks ago and don't understand it; the MRI said "There is a small disc osteophyte complex; the neural formina and spinal canal remains capacious.



Answer This
Answers (1)
1/11/11 10:37pm

In general, neurologist are usually only helpful if nerves are being irritated by a back problem. If you have pain, numbnes, and tingling in the legs, then a neurologist would be helpful. If you just have back pain, then a physiatrist would be more helpful.


Your MRI should be explained to you by the doctor who ordered the imaging study and who can actually read and confirm the radiologist's report. You need some straight talk about your MRI.


Dr. Christina Lasich, MD

Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By brownbunny, Community Member— Last Modified: 01/11/11, First Published: 01/11/11