Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Saturday, October 03, 2009 dave 01, Community Member, asks

Q: fibroneuralgia?

In 2007 i felt my back go,at first i thought it was a slipped disk as time went on it became apparrent it was more than that,the pain increased in my back,my left side started to feel like pins and needles then burning pains started down my left arm and leg 2 years later the pain is now in both legs and feet and both arms and hands,i have been refered to 2 different hospitals by my G.P the one who is at my pain clinic says i have a buldging disk,my neuroligist says i dont and the pain is a seperate issue.All i know is this has ruined my life i am 45 years old.I dont have any real answers after 2 years of scans ect. oh i now also have the feeling that my left leg and foot are wet which is becoming more frequent.could this be fibro neuralgia?my pain killers dont really give me any relief,oxycontin and slow release morphine ect.can anyone help?

Answer This
Answers (2)
Cort, Health Guide
10/ 4/09 9:48pm

I don't know if it's fibromyalgia but you might want to check out with your doctor pain medications for fibromyalgia that deal with nerve pain such as Lyrica. FM often starts with the physical trauma to a part of the body. Initially the pain is limited to that spot but FM patients it becomes widespread and chronic. What's happening is that the pain activation centers in the brain have become activated - chronically turned on - and they send pain messages even when the body is not injured. 


If you've had extensive testing and your doctors still cannot figure out what's going on you might ask them about fibromyalgia. FM does not respond very well to the narcotic drug treatments often used to treat pain.


Check out Health Central for more information on how FM is diagnosed and treated. Good luck!



Karen Lee Richards, Health Guide
10/ 6/09 6:58am

I can't say whether or not you have fibromyalgia, but here's a link to an article that might help:  What is Fibromyalgia?


The burning pain and pins and needles you describe sounds like there is some nerve involvement, probably stemming from your back.  You might try seeing a physiatrist (doctors who specialize in physical medicine and rehabilitation).  They can be very good at tracking down the cause of pain and can be very effective in treating back problems.

Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By dave 01, Community Member— Last Modified: 12/26/10, First Published: 10/03/09