• Tressa31 Tressa31
    October 15, 2008
    How do I ask my doctor to change my pain meds because they don't work for me anymore?
    Tressa31 Tressa31
    October 15, 2008

    How do I tell my doctor that the vicoicn 7.5 that she's had me on for my endometriosis for the past 2 years aren't enough for me anymore? They just don't work for me anymore unless I exceed my dose which is 2 every 4 hrs. She only gives me 40. I tried telling her before and she said she didn't want to switch me. But i'm in so much pain! i'm in so much pain that i run out, but i don't want her to think badly of me? Please any input I would gladly appreciate!



  • Christina Lasich, MD
    Health Pro
    October 16, 2008
    Christina Lasich, MD
    Health Pro
    October 16, 2008

    Prescribing habits of a doctor can be deeply engrained. Not long ago, the only medication that doctors learned how to use for pain relief was Vicodin. Unfortunately, some doctors are unwilling to go outside of their prescription comfort zones. How can you expand your doctor's comfort zone?


    Show her the support of your family: Bring your husband to your appointment. Have him explain what he is witnessing in his own words.

    Keep an activity journal: The goal for being on pain medications is to improve your level of function (activity level). If you are spending days in bed, obviously vicodin is not achieving that goal. (If an antibiotic failed to treat an infection, your doctor would switch medication.) Doctor's are trained to obtain goals. Set some goals with your doctor. Such as: "I'd like to go to the movies with my kids." "I'd like to be able to volunteer with my church."  Make her find a medication that will help you obtain your goals because it is time to move beyond Vicodin. Even adding other non-opioids is helpful, like a muscle relaxant or a tricyclic antidepressant.


    If she continues to be inflexible, find another doctor, someone who is not afraid to help you.

    Dr. Christina Lasich, MD




  • Carol October 16, 2008
    October 16, 2008

    Hello Tressa31,


    You know, your problem is sooooo common!!! The best thing to do is to tell your dr that the meds your taking are not working. If then the dr still won't change your meds, then get out of there as fast as you can!!!  I had that same problem and it took me to go to quite a few of drs until I found the dr of my dreams!!  He is God sent!! I found a dr that is so compassionate  that I told him I wanted to take him home with me!! So there are drs out  there that do care!!

    Another example for you. Just today, my husband had an apt with a new pain dr. My husband took all his mri reports and list of meds that he has been taking. This dr was to take over for the other dr. We got there today, and this dr totally humiliated my husband in front of everyone!! He told my husband that he was on too much meds and that he looked awful and remarked at how sick looking my man is and told him that he wanted my husband to go directly into rehab to be detoxed and then he needed to have surgery to try and fix the problems. Well, we cant afford that right now. He told my man that he would not give him any meds at all!!!!  We left there in tears!!  I had my husband drive straight to my drs office and he took the time to fit us in and we told him the situation and my dr turned around and wrote out 2 prescriptions right then and told him that he would take care of my husband and that I needed to get him into a surgeon to schedule a time for surgery when we could afford it! So instead of having to take my husband to the emergency room with withdrawals, my man is able to get up and go to work in the morning. 

    So see,     there are drs out there that do care!!  Don't give up!!  Find you a dr you can trust and that actually cares about their patients and not just the money!!

    I know this was long but I wanted to share this with you.  Hope it helps!!  Carol

  • lindajan126 October 16, 2008
    October 16, 2008

    Hi Tressa31, I agree with the answers of the other letter writers. Try telling her straight out what's happening (or not happening). Have witnesses tell your problems. Some docs aren't willing to bend and try something different of one thing doesn't work.If she still doesn't help, get thee to another doctor! Keep searching

    for a doc that is willing to try new things until something helps. I too have a very

    supportive medical family. (docs and other medical professionals). We have switched

    my meds around until we found something that works. Please keep in touch and let me know how it goes. Remember, you are not alone! Others share your problems. My email address is lindajan126@verizon.net.  Take care.  Linda

  • Michelle Stacey November 29, 2010
    Michelle Stacey
    November 29, 2010

    Oh my goodness I am not the only one out here in the same boat!! This is my first time blogging bout my pain but I am so frustrated with my pain I am searching the web to find help me find answers  and just feel like when I express the pain I am in to the Doctor looks at me like Im seeking a buzz. All I want is to function without all this pain I wish I could help you I really do. If I find any info that can help I will get back to you. I too need to find a medication that relieves me.I have trie so many oral meds I know thee has to be something that can cotrol my pain!!!


You should know Answers to your question are meant to provide general health information but should not replace medical advice you receive from a doctor. No answers should be viewed as a diagnosis or recommended treatment for a condition. Content posted by community members does not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media, which also reserves the right to remove material deemed inappropriate.