Thursday, October 23, 2014

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 Libby, Community Member, asks

Q: My right heel hurts constatly and when looking at it is almost as if I have a heel above my heel?

I fell in January on a wet floor pulling all the muscles in both legs. Once the pain of the pulled muscles subsided I was left with a severe pain in the back of my heel. It looks almost as if I have a heel above my heel because there is swelling until about 1 inch above the bottom of my foot/heel area. I did see a "specialist" and he put a homemade arch support on my foot that did not help the pain at all. Now it occassionally will look bruised and swell even more. My foot was x-rayd and they said there was nothing broken. I cannot walk very far at all and at times I have to use a cane. In trying to protect my foot my right knee is now beginning to hurt as well.


I am 52 years old and I am overweight, but did not have this kind of pain until after my fall.

Answer This
Answers (2)
8/21/08 12:25am
Sounds like you might have torn (at least partially) the Achilles tendon which is a big band the attaches the calf muscles to the heel bone. For an achilles tendon tear, I reccomend heel lift inserts or a 1 inch heeled shoe to ease the tension on the tendon. Ice and cross friction massage (rub across the sore area) are both excellent ways to reduce pain in a tendon. Without examining you, I cannot be sure. So, a sports medicine specialist would be a good choice for a second opinion because Achilles Tendon tears are very common. Dr. Christina Lasich, MD Reply
Sarah, Community Member
11/ 3/10 6:43pm

I hurt my right knee and now my right heel and the side of my foot hurts

Vicki M, Health Guide
8/27/08 1:17pm

Hi Libby,


Christine has given you some good advice. Here is some information about the Achilles Heel Tendon and what happens when it ruptures or tears.


Hope this helps! Take care and stay in touch and let us know how you are doing!

Vicki M

Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By Libby, Community Member— Last Modified: 06/03/12, First Published: 08/20/08