Thursday, October 30, 2014

Monday, November 23, 2009 David, Community Member, asks

Q: I have had chronic left hip and knee pain for 5 years in my left leg.

I have had chronic left hip and knee pain for five years in my left leg. I am 32-year-old male and am in good health. I am 6 foot 3 inches and weight about 265. I have no blood pressure or health problems. The pain starts at the left hip goes to the knee. I walk all day long in steel toes at a manufacturing facility. The pain is daily and wakes me up at night and I have problems going to sleep. If the pain is strong, I put my foot up to help with the pain. I talk aspirin on a every other day basis. I have quit my physical activities except bowling every other week. The pain is unbearable after any physical activity. I use a lot of Icy Hot on my knee to help with the pain.

The problem is the pain has been there for five years. I have had two MRIs that show no problem with my back. That is all the doctor looks at. I did PT once four years ago and it helps. He again recommended PT this past November. The pain in my knee and hip with not allow me to do the stretches any more without being in pain, like a 8 out of 10 on the pain scale. I can feel the femur hitting my pelvis in certain positions. What can I do for this?

Answer This
Answers (1)
11/23/09 5:50pm

Sounds like you have not gotten to the root of the problem, but you have a feeling that your pain has something to do with your steel toed shoes. I say that the patient (you) usually knows best. The problem with steel-toed shoes is that you loss tremendous flexibility of the foot bed. The movement of gait has to come from somewhere like the knees and the hips if the foot/toes cannot flex. A doctor should also check you for a leg length discrepancy. If one leg is longer than the other by more than 1cm, then that difference in lengths will throw your gait off and compound the problem with stiff shoes. You should also look into "rocker bottom" soled boots. A boot with a curve-shaped sole will help to ease (rock) the foot along without placing more stress on the knees and hips. Try finding a doctor who specializes in sports medicine or physical medicine. A doctor with a solid understanding of the musculoskeletal system and joint function should be able to help you find the root of your problem.

Here are some links on pain management that you might find helpful:

Using Tylenol Responsibly

Let’s Talk Pain Meds

What You Didn’t Know About Pain Meds


Dr. Christina Lasich, MD

David, Community Member
11/23/09 9:57pm

Thank you very much for the information. I have already checked into the new steel toes. My next question is will a MRI or a CT scan be a better tool if they want some test done on my hip and knee for any type of ligament or muscular damage? And again thank you so much for the advice. I have received the best information in one everning than 5 years of doctors appointments.

Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By David, Community Member— Last Modified: 07/27/14, First Published: 11/23/09