• 60 ish lady 60 ish lady
    May 24, 2009
    Treatment for heel spur and pain on the top of the foot?
    60 ish lady 60 ish lady
    May 24, 2009



    Since January of this year I have had painful swelling on the top of my left foot when I take a step, around the arch. I consulted my doctor and was referred to a podiatrist. He suggested orthotics, but the pain has remained. Finally, after more visits to my doctor, an x-ray was taken that showed no inflammation in the top of foot, but it showed a tiny heel spur under my heel. I tried special heel inserts, but again I got no relief. I will have to wait until the end of September this year to see an orthopaedic surgeon. Does anyone have any other suggestions for managing this until then?




  • Karen Lee Richards
    Health Guide
    May 26, 2009
    Karen Lee Richards
    Health Guide
    May 26, 2009

    Heel spurs are a fairly common cause of pain on the top of the foot.  Some of the self treatments suggested include: 

    •  Wearing less restricting shoes (i.e., loosen laces, etc.)

    •  Applying ice for 10 or 15 minutes several times a day.  (Try rolling your foot over a frozen water bottle or frozen can of fruit/vegetables.)

    •  Try doughnut-shaped heel inserts.  (You can make them yourself by cutting a piece of foam rubber (about 1/4" thick) to make a doughnut-shaped pad that fits over the bone spur.)  If this is the type of inserts you tried already, you might try heel risers instead.

    •  If these don't work, you might ask your doctor about the possibility of a corticosteroid injection to help until your September appointment with the orthopaedic surgeon.


    Here are some other links that might be useful:

    What Your Feet Say About Your Health

    Foot Pain - Forefoot Pain

    Hall of Shame: Shoes That Cause Pain



You should know Answers to your question are meant to provide general health information but should not replace medical advice you receive from a doctor. No answers should be viewed as a diagnosis or recommended treatment for a condition. Content posted by community members does not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media, which also reserves the right to remove material deemed inappropriate.