• helpmeplz helpmeplz
    June 04, 2009
    Pain in Left Shoulder Years After Being Rear-Ended in Auto Accident
    helpmeplz helpmeplz
    June 04, 2009

    Since a car accident about four years ago, I have had terrible pain in my left shoulder (I was the driver, and it's right behind the seatbelt location). It feels brusied, although there is nothing visible. And there is swelling; tingling also on left pinkie and next two fingers, as well as burning in elbow. Nothng much shows on an MRI. What kind of doctor should I see? Have seen orthopeadic surgeon. What could this be? It's been so long; sometimes heat helps, sometimes ice pack. Gets much worse with lifting/arm stretched, etc. Thank you!



  • Karen Lee Richards
    Health Guide
    June 05, 2009
    Karen Lee Richards
    Health Guide
    June 04, 2009

    Believe it or not, the field of orthopaedics has gotten so specialized, there are actually orthopaedic surgeons who specialize in shoulders and elbows.  If you can't find one in your area, try one who specializes in sports medicine.  Here's more information on shoulder specialists:  http://www.shouldersurgeon.com/shoulder_specialist/


    If the orthopaedic surgeon you've already seen was a shoulder specialist, you might try a physiatrist (physical medicine and rehabilitation).  They can be quite good with injuries such as yours.


    Good luck to you.


You should know Answers to your question are meant to provide general health information but should not replace medical advice you receive from a doctor. No answers should be viewed as a diagnosis or recommended treatment for a condition. Content posted by community members does not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media, which also reserves the right to remove material deemed inappropriate.