Tuesday, August 05, 2008 steveb, Community Member, asks

Q: How can I find doctors to prescribe vicodin

I live in San Diego. I am having trouble finding doctors to prescribe vicodin. Most pain specialists are so financially motivated to perform nerve blocks and epidurals, and they immediately disparage long term treatment with vicodin. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Answer This
Answers (3)
jon47, Community Member
8/ 5/08 11:47am

i can not really say. some doc,s will give it to you freely and some will not. i uesd to go to a pain doc for afew years but the nerve blocks that had helped me hurt and started to have side efects. then i broke another bone in my right wrist and had to go back to him a month ago and he gave me the vicodin and a block and it helped but he was talking about a tens unit and i said i would try it but as i was walking out the door a nurse said did you know how much that would cost to put in, the price about floored me. so i can not have that done. as for the pills they do help. i could get them off the street but im not all about that. i whish you luck. js

dlphnlvr99, Community Member
6/29/11 12:23pm

Hi, I live in San Diego also, and am having a hell of a time getting a prescription for vicodin. Did you ever find a Dr. who will prescribe it?



ConstantlyInPain, Community Member
5/17/12 12:46am

I have a right ankle fracture (talus is broken), my right knee has a torn ACL, torn meniscus & torn ligaments, right wrist has severe carparl tunnel, I have a few slipped disc in my back, my left knee has a torn meniscus and ligaments (the knee's were due to severe car accidents when my knee's hit the dash board and the ankle is from when I fell down a flight of stairs and/or the car accident for all I know), I have severe migraines and it just seems like I can't get help anywhere. I live in San Diego, CA and I feel lost when it comes to doctors! 

I just don't even know where to begin! I just now finally got insurance back - SCMG (my ex husband use to be in the military so I had tricare for 7 years) and I am extreme pain by the time I get off of work. When I went to the ER about my ankle hurting so bad - the M.D was so shocked I was even walking on my ankle due to the x-ray results! 

I understand that abusers ruin it for people like us that extremely need help, but I just started surfing the web and decided to give this a try! I work 8 hours a day and mainly go back and forth from sitting and standing and by the time I come home, the pain is so severe I can barely stand. 

It seems every doctor that I do go too, they immediately assume I'm some addict that just wants pain meds to "feed an addiction", but they truly don't understand how the pain affects me.

IF ANYONE...and I mean ANYONE...knows of ANY doctor's within SCMG insurance or anything close to it...can they please help me? A doctor that I can actually have a patient/doctor relationship with and have him/her not make me feel like an abuser. If you need my e-mail address or anything like that, just let me know. I've never taken Oxycotin and I prefer not too. Normally Vicodin, Norco or Percocet would be fine for me...someone help me!! Thank you soooo much!!!

In Constant Pain.

Answer This

We hope you find this general health information helpful. Please note however, that this Q&A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. No information in the Answers above is intended to diagnose or treat any condition. The views expressed in the Answers above belong to the individuals who posted them and do not necessarily reflect the views of Remedy Health Media. Remedy Health Media does not review or edit content posted by our community members, but reserves the right to remove any material it deems inappropriate.

By steveb, Community Member— Last Modified: 05/17/12, First Published: 08/05/08