• Share this page:


More Info

Monday, Aug. 27, 2007; 7:44 PM

Copyright Harvard Health Publications 2007

When To Call A Professional

Contact your doctor if you have knee pain that doesn't go away, or if your knee catches, gives way or looks swollen and puffy.


Simple nonsurgical treatments can relieve knee pain in most people with chondromalacia.

If nonsurgical treatment fails, and surgery is done, studies show that most patients are satisfied with the results. Once the damaged cartilage is removed surgically, knee pain usually decreases and the knee functions better.

Additional Info

National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases Information Clearinghouse 1 AMS Circle Bethesda, MD 20892-3675 Phone: (301) 495-4484 Toll-Free: (877) 226-4267 Fax: (301) 718-6366 TTY: (301) 565-2966 http://www.niams.nih.gov/

American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) 6300 North River Rd. Rosemont, IL 60018-4262 Phone: (847) 823-7186 Toll-Free: (800) 346-2267 Fax: (847) 823-8125 http://www.aaos.org/

American Physical Therapy Association 1111 North Fairfax St. Alexandria, VA 22314-1488 Phone: (703) 684-2782 Toll-Free: (800) 999-2782 Fax: (703) 684-7343 http://www.apta.org/

National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health 4676 Columbia Parkway Mail Stop C-18 Cincinnati, OH 45226 Toll-Free: (800) 356-4674 Fax: (513) 533-8573 http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/

Ask a Question

Get answers from our experts and community members.

View all questions (10373) >