When To Call A Professional
Call your doctor if you think that you are experiencing episodes of Raynaud's phenomenon or other symptoms of scleroderma, especially if you are a woman of childbearing age.
About 85% to 90% of people with limited scleroderma have a good outlook. The remaining 10% to 15% may develop potentially fatal lung damage over a period of 10 to 20 years. Patients with diffuse scleroderma tend to have a poorer outlook, although at least 55% survive for 10 years or more. Longevity in this illness may be improving over time but its rarity and variability make it difficult to accurately predict the prognosis in an individual with scleroderma.
National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases Information Clearinghouse 1 AMS Circle Bethesda, MD 20892-3675 Phone: (301) 495-4484 Toll-Free: (877) 226-4267 Fax: (301) 718-6366 TTY: (301) 565-2966 http://www.niams.nih.gov/
Scleroderma Foundation 12 Kent Way Suite 101 Byfield, MA 01922 Phone: (978) 463-5843 Toll-Free: (800) 722-4673 Fax: (978) 463-5809 http://www.scleroderma.org/
American College of Rheumatology 1800 Century Place, Suite 250 Atlanta, GA 30345 Phone: (404) 633-3777 Fax: (404) 633-1870 http://www.rheumatology.org/