Bringing down a fever will make the person feel better and help patients rest.
Treating a fever without medicine
* Put a cool, damp washcloth on their forehead.
* Wash their arms and body with a cool cloth.
* Give the person a slightly warm bath.
Treating a high fever with medicine
* Look for the ingredients "acetaminophen" or "ibuprofen" on labels.
* These medicines may take 30 to 45 minutes to start working. They may not bring fevers down to normal temperature.
When a fever causes a seizure
A seizure makes you have jerky spasms and can also make you pass out. In rare cases, a fever can bring on a seizure, called a "febrile seizure." Seizures brought on by fever are more common in young children. Call the doctor or get medical help for seizures.
Any child younger than 3 months who has a fever should see a doctor.