Marijuana and Bipolar - Can Pot Affect Depression?

Ask the Expert Patient Health Guide
  • Question:


    Michelle Erickson wrote...


    By-polar and pot?


    Hey Everyone I am really worried about my 18 year son who has bi-polar disorder, ocd, and conduct disorder. I just found out he has been smoking pot, doe's anyone know what affect this can have with his med's and his illnesses. Please let me know and any advice on what I should do. Part of my concern is he is a fallower who wants to fit in badly, as far as I know right now he has only used pot but what's next or if he is telling me the truth I don't know. Thank You, Michelle





    Dear Michelle,


    Your son is an adult, so what you can do is going to be limited, especially if he no longer lives with you. Since marijuana is illegal, you can't look up his medications to see if there are any interactions with marijuana, but you can ask your pharmacist or doctor. Since your son is legally an adult, you may run into some privacy issues if you try to talk to his doctor.

    Add This Infographic to Your Website or Blog With This Code:


    A calm, but serious discussion with your son is in order. Some counseling could also be a big help to both of you.


    Good luck,


    About Ask the Expert Patient:


    If you would like to ask a question about depression or living with depression, please write a SharePost and be sure to select “a question” in the drop-down menu next to “I want to create a SharePost that is a,” which is Step 2 on the SharePost creation screen.  I will post my responses to your questions each week.


    Please keep in mind that I am not a physician. I cannot diagnose or give medical advice. This section is for sharing information and offering support as a nonphysician “Expert Patient.”


    I hope you find this general medical and health information useful, but this Q & A is meant to support not replace the professional medical advice you receive from your doctor. For all personal medical and health matters, including decisions about diagnoses, medications and other treatment options, you should always consult your doctor. See full disclaimer.

Published On: October 22, 2007