My Depression Connection Question of the Week!
In my last post we discussed some physical and biological ways to help improve our mood. One of these ways is through taking supplements. Other folk may take antidepressants as well.
I thought that this would be a good time to tell you what I am taking right now. And I am hoping that you all will share your list.
Note: What works for one person may not work for you. Supplements and herbal remedies may also cause side effects. They also may create adverse reactions when combined with prescription medications. Always tell your doctor everything you are taking including herbal products and supplements. Research everything before you take it and always purchase your supplements from a reputable company.
I am not presently taking any antidepressants. I do have one bottle of Xanax which held ten pills of .5 mg each. It was prescribed to me in September of 2009 and I still have four pills left. I use them for airplane rides as I am terribly phobic. They did help when I had a flight with turbulence but I was still afraid. I don't think any drug would totally remove my fear. But psychologically it helps me to know they are there just in case I need them. It was funny...I wanted to hold out until the last minute to take anything because I am not crazy about taking pills. So I was in mid flight...the turbulence began and then I took a xanax.
Supplements amd medications I have in my medicine cabinet. Please note that I only take some of these on a regular basis. Some I have not tried at all.
- SAM-e 400 mg daily
- Melatonin and Benadryl for sleeping. I alternate them and also try to have periods of not taking anything so I don't come to depend on any one thing.
For Energy and fatigue:
- Nuvigil (for my MS fatigue) I got a trial of this medication...just seven pills and I have not taken any yet. Not sure if I will.
- L-Carnitine 500 mg *This is the supplement I am currently using.
- Rhodiola Rosea
- GABA Calm sublingual *This is the one I am currently using on an as needed basis
- Xanax (used for coping with my phobias)
- B-Stress P.M.with Vitamins B and C, Calcium, Magnesium, and Valerian Root
Other Daily Supplements:
- Time Released B-12 2000 mcg.
- Fish Oil Capsules 1000 mg.
- Folic Acid 400 mcg
- Bone Density Calcium and Vitamin D
So my question for you is: What is in your medicine cabinet as far as anti-anxiety meds, antidepressants, herbal products or vitamin supplements?
And what all are you currently taking? And is your combination of meds/supplements working for you?
I am very curious to see your lists!
Thanks to all who participate in our weekly questions and discussions.